June 18, 2009

First Web App "reviewed"

To be honest, I haven't "reviewed" this site yet from a functionality perspective - I just can't get past the first glance.

Sweetwater County, WY MapServer application:
http://www.sweet.wy.us/mapserver/map.html


When the map text and labels are that garbled at first viewing you have to think of a few things:

1) turn the text layers off
2) fix the damn text placement
3) have some dynamic dependencies so that the labels will turn on at a certain scale so that they are not so offensive at first glance. I mean really?

If the tools you use can't do the right job (MapServer... text placement / conflict detection?!?!) - then work around them. Throw some buffers around the names, do some padding, use smart scaling, something... anything...
Ok... must cool off. Many, many others to write about.

What I will say however is the site has some nice touches and I do actually like the application. The Help is quite good (always important) and I love the info bar at the bottom that includes projection, lat / long, scale, etc., etc. They've done a good job here.



The site itself is quite quick as well - so that's always super plus in my books.



The colors on the Voter Precincts leave a lot to be desired, but not many GIS'ers get coloring correct. Thank God for Cynthia Brewer!!

More to come...

2 comments:

  1. This should be fun! You're going to make some great friends I see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully not *all* the sites reviewed will be bad!

    I have a few great ones over the next few days to highlight...

    ReplyDelete